Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My Student Page URL

My URL is on a Curtin University server so it's not viewable for everyone:

http://student.curtin.edu.au/~14399200/

I chose to use the student web space because I am quite comfortable using the Unix/Windows webserver path to uploading websites. I had no idea this choice was going to challenge my every urge to bail and simply blog about it. Well I am not one to give up so easily so I used what is only useful to latecomers like myself... the Net11 discussion board; posts by frustrated students trying to ftp their files to their student web space. Thank you to all for participating!

The process involved finding the appropriate instructions, downloading the appropriate files, installing software, file transfer and then viewing. The instructions made it look simple enough. This paragraph gives the impression it is simple. But it was not as easy as it looks. In fact I often felt like I was trying to break into Fort Knox.

I found this task quite interesting to do - as I worked through each step, I reminded myself of the user considerations and overall security issues that the folk at Curtin University (obviously) thought about before they threw the student webspace keys to me. Impressive!

No comments:

Post a Comment