Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Copyright

OMG I had to double check that the cartoon image I used on my Email Metadata~ology page didn't breach any copyright. Phew I found the evidence I needed, it's ok to embed the cartoon in a web page as long as the code is left unchanged. I remember feeling confident about it being ok but having to scrutinise my image use just now made me anxious about missing details somewhere. I really like the cartoon and it's relevant for the page it's on, so to take it down would have left me feeling sad and a tad dopey as well.

  • Would I be in breach of copyright if I put the Curtin University logo at the top of this web page for an assignment?
Difficult question. Although it's clear that the logo is copyrighted and I know it is also Trade Marked, it would be wise to seek permission to put it anywhere on the web page let alone at the top. I considered placing a screenshot of the Trade Mark page here but chickened out at the last minute as I'm not 100% certain if that's ok either! Because it's a logo I think I'd be pushing the limits by asking to put it where logos normally go - at the top of a page. A logo can be thought of as the identity of the entity (no rhyme intended, words simply fell) and having Curtin's logo at the top of this page would be deceptive, I could literally "ride on it's kudos and weight" with whatever I write.

I think :)

No comments:

Post a Comment