Thursday, May 7, 2009

Furl vs HTML Text List

There are several differences between Furl and the HTML Text Listing. Not all of the differences are obvious until you decide to do something with the information.

The Text version loads nice and quick and the list contains enough information for me to know what I will read about when I click the links but... why isn't it sorted alphabetically? The list could do with some basic or broad categories too. How long is a long list? Add a dozen more links and it will matter not because the list is unordered and while it's currently about 3 pages long there is no major problem apart from me losing my focus. I'd say this is not an effective way to display bookmarks when the list is this long and without order.

Furl could be either visually appealing or too busy! I did like the fact that you have various ways of editing the tags and therefore the categories through which you could filter the list. The downside to this sharing of "the editing of tags" is the tags are not always what I would use or expect when searching.

I would definitely prefer to use Furl over the Text listing because it allows me to categorise my bookmarks, making it easier for me to 'drill down' and find topic related links later. The other major advantage to using something like Furl is its scalable nature - I can have 1000 bookmarks and would still be able to find what I'm looking for - that is, if I used the tags and categories consistently.

Maybe I should use Furl or Delicious - currently I use iGoogle and Google Notebook which seems a bit minimalist (or over the top?!) but I am afraid to change my ways while in the middle of work and Uni study where my time is at a premium!

No comments:

Post a Comment