Saturday, April 11, 2009

Email CC, BCC, Reply2All

  1. In what cases would you find it useful to use the 'cc', 'bcc' and 'reply all functions of email?
For people on slow internet connections or with minimal bandwidth quotas it’s a definite plus to be able to send one message to more than one person at the same time. 

  • I use CC when I want to show the main recipient that my message has been copied/sent to other people they may or may not know. My friends for instance, won’t think they are the only elite members in my contact list and work associates might appreciate not having to forward the message themselves because I’ve already CC’d it.
  • BCC is a bit like selecting stealth mode in RPG and sometimes I regard using BCC as underhand or deceptive even when it is not meant that way. I use BCC for work, when a colleague asks to be copied in on an email and it’s not necessary that he is identified or there is no need for him to receive correspondence from anyone else.
  • I would use the Reply To All function when I am aware that it would be polite to do so or it’s obvious that I should reply to everyone. But what if we all decided to Reply To All? Using Reply To All has the potential to create a situation where recipients receive many emails back and forth from within the Reply To All group. This scenario is even more likely to occur if it’s a group containing newcomers to email who might still foster the ‘newbie’ illusion that they are replying one to one rather than one to many - Clicking once on Reply To All can be useful if used properly otherwise it’s unnecessary for a lot of recipients.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment