Tuesday, March 10, 2009

FTP

I use ftp quite a lot to transfer files so I decided to try 3 methods of using ftp including Filezilla to note any differences in completing this task as well as finding the missing word “insert missing word here MATTERS”.

Using my regular program AceFTP compared to the recommended Filezilla program was not too foreign for me to do. I prefer using AceFTP because it is familiar but it seems to me that the look and placement of the various ftp functions are the only differences between the two programs. If I had first used Filezilla (in the old days) then perhaps I would be comfortable using it now, but I like AceFTP because I’m used to it and there’s no reason to change programs.

Next I tried typing ftp://recall.curtin.edu.au directly into my browser (Firefox) and the site directory structure loaded quickly. Right-clicking the file for download is required and that’s it! I found this way the easiest of the 3 methods I tried.

The only problem I had was finding the README text file! I didn’t think this was going to be that hard to do but after further thought I realised that I was reading the instructions from our Module work a bit too literally. I also came to the conclusion that having a little knowledge and experience on something like FTP and UNIX actually caused my problem with finding the README file. I was already aware of the importance of the capitalisation of file names in URLs so I was looking for a file called README.txt in CAPITAL LETTERS as shown in the Module question. The file was actually readme.txt and not README.txt as I first thought.
The missing word was indeed “capitalisation”.

I have to say that reading other student blogs I am humbled by their abilities to overcome something like FTP which is a regular tool for me yet I still stumbled.

(Note to self: get commenting on other net11’ers blogs, lots of student blogs, much to experience and learn from)

...

No comments:

Post a Comment